Friday, June 26, 2009

Rest In Peace, King of Pop

That's right...I got cursed out not once, not twice, but THREE times today on the phone. There were some angry people calling about everything from us starving the stage cat Smokey to be not being able to put them through to Ellen herself. Nasty words won't get you anywhere people! But it was more funny than offensive haha, I just don't get these crazy people's lack of common sense! So today was a fine day at the office with a couple big events.
Number one, of course, the big news around the world not just in the entertainment industry is the deaths of Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett. Farrah came in early in the morning and there was chatter about how it was a sad day for our business. MJ was another story alltogether. I actually fielded the call from an inside source of one of the EPs who works at the hospital. I couldn't believe it!! Two celebs in one day?? And one was Michael Jackson!?! It was the most depressing call I've ever taken. It was weird because I knew before everyone else that he had the heart attack and that he died. I twittered it and my friends all freaked out because for them it wasn't confirmed yet. I guess that's a perk of being in the biz and working for connected people. We spent the afternoon watching YouTube videos of all his stuff and playing his music. Everyone was talking about it. Erin was so upset she went to get a "mourning coffee" as she called it and the Starbucks people felt so bad for her when her phone rang with the ringtone PYT that they gave her the drink for free. So nice! Anyhow, I love me some MJ and it's so tragic that he's dead. In all honesty, I can't decide if his kids will be more messed up now from the media attention and lack of father than they were from having such an eccentric dad. Either way, I feel for both the Jacksons and the Faucets and I hope that their families get through this okay. Despite how much I love my industry, I hope the media treats them with respect.
One highlight of my day was that I got to talk to Ellen Page on the phone! She called in to speak with one of the EPs and came through the main line. It was so cool! I also got to meet Tony the DJ on Ellen today. He was such a sweetheart with an adorable accent. I was also privvy to a conversation between the 3 EPs, Ellen and Portia!! They had the call on speakerphone and since I'm up front I can hear everything if the door's open. Ellen was cracking jokes and laughing proving she's funny in everyday life too. They were working on putting a statement together about the deaths which, while it was sad, was kind of a cool process to hear.
Today was the EPs last day in the office before they go on a month vacation so it was pretty busy getting all their interviews done. Mary brought her 5-year old daughter in and she was so cute! She colored and danced around wearing her Disney princess shoes so of course we bonded. I mean, with all those similarities, how could we not be best friends? She was really fun and so cute. When I wasn't busy with new candidates and other projects I had Erin teach me the wonders of Pandora. Now I understand what everyone is raving about - it's so cool! And it totally brings you back to songs you haven't heard in forever which is the best part. I also got a bunch of free DVDs at work today that they were planning on giving away. We're going through Fanmail so if the items sent are cool we get to take them home. :)
Tonight I went out with a big group of my Radio Disney friends. It was Mikey's 21st birthday so we went to a country western bar called Saddle Ranch. The food was surprisingly good and we had a really good time! The drinks were really expensive but from what I can tell, that's just LA. Several of our group members rode the mechanical bull which was hilarious. I got to meet some of the new people on the team that I hadn't worked with yet including the on-air DJs that everyone who listens nationwide considers celebrities, Jake, Betsey and Ernie D. They were all really chill and cool and I'm really glad I have these automatic friends to go out and do things with. The bar manager got Mikey a free Cotton Candy martini (basically it's a GIANT martini glass filled with enough cotton candy to feed my sister...and that is saying something) and a 3 tier chocolate cake both of which we all shared. I couldn't believe it was free! I found out later that Mikey tipped them $40 so I'm not sure if that was really "free" but who knows in LA? I also had another LA moment...I chased a half-shot with a french fry since I didn't have another drink. Hahaha, at least the carbs probably counteracted the alcohol! Anyway, the group of 15 of us had them put on the Hoedown Throwdown (a Hannah Montana song for those of you not as up on Disney as me) and we all did the entire dance in front of everyone in the bar. They must have thought we were so lame and crazy but it was hilarious. We left around 2am and now I'm exhausted and ready to get what little sleep I can before I have to go in to work tomorrow.
I'll leave you with this. "If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.” -Michael Jackson, King of Pop, RIP

3 comments:

  1. Cotton Candy enough to feed me...if mom doesn't get to it first! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Jenn and I want to make sure you know I am now caught up with your blog (but it's only cause I am on Amanda's computer).

    ReplyDelete